Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Camera Bridge

My wife, Ginny, and I were busy snooping out and photographing the early spring flowers peeking their heads up from the earth at Morton Arboretum this morning.  As we walked along the road towards Lake
Marmo we met a rather large and scattered group of members from the Arboretum's photography class. Ginny decided to stay at one place and was on her knees busy composing some of the small flowers into a creative scene. I decided to walk a ways away and try my luck with some of the snowbells still in white and riding the gentle breeze that cooled down the morning sunshine. 
When I arrived at the best spot for snowbells a lady from the club was finishing up her photoshoot.  I felt moved to say something to her, which is not my usual way of relating to "strangers."  I said, "I wish these plants would grow taller then we wouldn't have to bend so far to photograph them."  I noticed she had a Nikon, the make of camera I use, and asked how she liked it.  She mentioned she was new at this photography thing and was a true beginner.  I shared with her a couple of simple points to help her in her class.  We chatted about her son who was in college and doing some computer programming to help him in his project of instant shutter speeds to catch such things as breaking balloons, dripping water and so on. 
Finally Ginny showed up and the three of us got to talking.  We were ready to leave and mentioned that we were clergy, Presbyterian.  I mentioned that my photography was an act of prayer (contemplation) and that prayer was learning to "pay attention."  That's when she shared that she was a cancer patient and had been dealing with cancer for over a year.  She recounted all the types of therapy she had to endure and how well she was doing.  Then she mentioned that her two doctors were helping her with her spirituality and that she was a student in yoga.  She quipped, "Sometimes we have to get whacked on the head to learn to pay attention."  We shared a little more of her experience, our future plans,  and spirituality and told her we wished the best for her.
 As we left to explore more of the arboretum I was imppressed how God arrives when we connect to each other.  Even a simple Nikon Camera can be a vehicle to building a bridge that connects with one another.

No comments: