Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Weight of Christ

St Christopher stood seven foot five.

Seeker of servanthood; serving a King or following the Devil,

until he was found by a Child working

the dangerous river

bearing the travelers from side to side

sometimes on a terrifying journey.

Bearing the Child seemed so simple, so light

yet barely was the saint able to move between the shores

hardly could he lift those strong legs

to carry this traveler.

Shoulders bent, neck in pain, arms worn out

aching as he strode from shore to shore.

The child emerging from this hazardous journey

spoke of the weight on Christopher’s shoulders;

“The weight of the world from the Creator of the

World,” in response to Christopher’s lament

feeling as if he were bearing the weight

of the world.



Christ weights me down; wears me out,

sucks all my energy out from the struggle

of living life as a follower of the Child,

a curious and hopeful student

of this God-created world.

Sometimes madness wears my thoughts like a coat

covering me with the temptation of

things and wealth and amusement

turning me aside from a focused following.

Weighed down by Christ; trying to discover

ways to face society’s caged consciousness,

herd mentality (a la Kierkegaard) thoughts

in hypnotic trances that

fail my heart, often suffocating my desire

to be human

into robot-like playing with gadgets,

thinking of buying, buying, buying.





Christ weights me down

when all the minor notes, lesser gods

singing to me create illusions which I often mistake for truth.

Weighed down, deep down, by oppressive attention

and faulty perceptions enslaved into seeing reality or

what appears for reality until the

Child climbs across my shoulders and back

and journeys with me, travels

across the baptizing-stream throughout my lifetime

making reality hard and enabling the mud

to sift between my toes and it’s earth crust

and my ash to combine

transforming my servanthood

from the weightlessness of air to the weight of glory.











Richard W Smith

February 15, 2011

No comments: