Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Song of the Universe

I've been to Morton Arboretum
   many times for
   over four years;
   walking, driving, sitting,
   touching, listening, gazing at
   the trees, the earht,the wildness.

I've recorded over and over again
   by camera photographs of
   every experience-and even
   caught people unaware in pixels.

So, recently, the joy has worn off; the
   wonder and amazement of all that
   is and makes up this wonderful garden.

I'd thought I'd seen it all, heard every local bird-song,
   watched every deer and coyote and heard the wings of
   hawk as they swooped down to an unsuspecting mole.

I'd grown sad that there was nothing left to photograph
   I'd despaired of seeing deeper, looking more closely
   hearing the song of the universe,
   the one in the tiny many.

But, at the right time, creeping so slowly
   an experience called "mindfulness"
   paying attention to the moment
   the experience of being aware of what is
   right before my eyes and in my life
   surfaced with a start.

I follow this path faultingly in my journey
   I am continually invited and welcomed into
   the deeper spaces of reality
   beyond the surface sheen and sounds
   to walk in the dpeths of the streams of
   life
   to discover the part each living creature
   plays in the make-up
   of my life.


Richard W Smith
December 12, 2010

No comments: