Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Miracle of Communication

I spoke at you!

Glanced a phrase

A bit of unintelligent humor

Unthinking expressions

Off the top of my head.

A burst of words meaning really

Nothing. I guess I wanted to let you know

I knew you were here in this space

Around me and I could hear you

Breathing, your bones cracking as you

Walked beside me and placed your arm on my

Shoulder to bring comfort, to speak

Healing into my heart which at the time was

Unable to receive such tenderness.



So as I felt that dear arm across my shoulders

Holding me up when all I wanted to do was

Fall apart, crash into oblivion, scream bloody hell

At the top of my voice and disappear into nothingness-

Then, in the middle of compassion, I aimed

Those unconscious words your way

I let them fly, edged them with a little poison,

In your direction hoping that you would hurt as much as I did,

Just so you could know how I felt, so you could sense the depths

Of my pain and heartache-nothing malicious intended.

My words were released and they flew

Across the emptiness between us and somehow they connected

attaching themselves to your heart and instead of exploding

instead of crashing and slicing your heart and

smashing your words and compassionate meaningful embrace

a miracle happened

you heard my deep wail and felt my wounds, your compassion

absorbed the poison of my words and the violence in my pain

and transformed them into a meaningful message that somehow

connected us together!



Richard W Smith
January 9, 2011

No comments: